Creating a centrally controlled SCADA system to monitor the environmental and power quality of data centers.
Creating a remote facility monitoring solution with a power quality monitoring system that includes basic parameters, total harmonic distortions (THD), harmonic and interharmonic analysis, voltage events detection, and others. It should also feature a web-based system for monitoring remote terminal units (RTUs), central database server, web client, email notification, environmental parameter monitoring, historical trending, local logging, and alarm and event handling systems. The system can be extended for up to 100 data centers.
Full Case Study
Our system consists of a central/SCADA web server, central database server, web client, email, network, RTU-01, RTU-02, RTU-03…RTU-N.
We have a SCADA system for monitoring the environmental and energy quality of data centers. It is web based for monitoring 16 RTUs (280 physical I/O, 1,069 calculated I/O) and includes an option for extending to up to 100 RTUs.
The system includes the following power analysis: basic parameters, THD, harmonic analysis, voltage events detection active, reactive and apparent power, and power factory analysis.
The system monitors the following environmental parameters: humidity, temperature, and HVAC status. It features historical trending, local logging, alarm and event handling, and email notification.
The central SCADA web server monitors all the real-time controllers, acquires data from them for the alarm and event handling, and stores and publishes to the web. The central database server logs and post-processes the date.
For web clients, the central web server resides inside the SCADA server on the virtual server environment. It publishes web services over the Internet. For email, the central SCADA server sends an instant alarm and event information to a corporate email address. A local web server resides inside the RTU and it serves the local web client request.
System Features and Benefits
- The system presents the complete SCADA system.
- Real-time reading of voltage and current RMS (root mean square)
- Real-time calculation of power factor within standard tolerance limits (0.1%), harmonic distortion within standard tolerance limits. The calculation for harmonic distortion from the fundamental up to 35th as per IEEE-519 and 99.5% accuracy. Also the measurement of the THD is based on the above mentioned harmonic distortion criteria
- Real-time reading of temperature and humidity and HVAC status
- Facility to provide average, minimum, and maximum readings for all the measured values over various periods of time and up to five years
- Provide historical data for future reference
- The RTU capable of storing the data up to six months whenever server communication fails and capable of resending the stored data to the server whenever the connection between the RTU and the server is established with the correct timestamps
- Facility generates alarm reports through email whenever the reading exceeds the predefined settings. These settings are configurable with administrative privileges